Friday, July 15, 2016

I Don't Know. This Stuff Was On My Mind.





Last night, for my private lesson, I fenced my coach. I do this move (once in a while) where I go for a toe shot, but rather than keep my distance, I advance into them after the action and do a "drop and dig" (bell guard low-point up ) in fighting attack. Kind of a safety. I have no idea why it works for me ( generally). I have never seen another fencer do this.

At any rate, I hurt my coach. Obviously he is a much better fencer and in my haste to hit him as fast as possible. I hit him hard and hurt him. Shortly after that, he hit me with a good fast action four times in a row. The same action, all four times. Now part of the reason he did that is due to his skill and part of it is that I lost my mind set for combat because I hurt a friend. I think, if it had been in a tournament situation and not someone I knew well or at all, I may have been able to go back into fencing mode. I record this in my journal to remind myself .....something. I am not sure what.


I have often thought that sometimes, when you fence certain people, you have an insight into their personality. Not everyone you fence, but some of them. I think the same can be said of coaches. I think you can know them, by the type of private lesson they give. Obviously, you get the benefit of knowing coaches through an entire class, or time spent with a group. But if the only interaction you had with them was a private lesson, I think you would have a good insight into who they are.

3 comments:

Wesley said...

Don't let it bother you. At my club, we have a general agreement: While we never try to intentionally hurt each other, if it happens, we all have an understanding that by putting on the safety gear, you're consenting to that possibility.

We're sword fighting, not playing patty-cake.

For what it's worth, I've walked away bloody several times from tough shots to the thin skin on my leg and sometimes in the bend of my elbow. It's never hurt my feelings because I know my clubmates aren't setting out to hurt me. It just happens sometimes when you're both giving all you've got. I certainly don't want any half measures from them, and they shouldn't expect half effort from me.

Sounds like you've got a good move with that toe shot. Your friend will heal quickly, and I feel certain he won't hold it against you...but you should be ready for some mild ridicule between men!

Jim Kent said...

Thanks Wesley. : )

cobalt said...

Oh yeah, I didn't get seriously hurt. Just a hard hit, and I was coming forward too so, *shrug* it happens.

That being said, there's some part of me that's going to be angry over any hard hit. I learned some time ago to take that anger and funnel it towards my focus. And that advantage gets amplified if my opponent's not ready for it.

I'm far from the only one to do that. So part of the lesson was: No pity while fencing an opponent :-). (Ok, there are always exceptions... But not against an able bodied experienced fencer ;-) )