Monday, June 20, 2016

Apex Fencing and the Forgotten Element of Teaching Young People Fencing.





I went to a wedding this weekend. The groom is a fencer friend. The mother of the groom is a fencer friend. Many of the guest were fencers; ex-fencers and coaches.

Great wedding and reception. I enjoyed some conversations I had . It was a good time.

On the drive to the wedding I had  been thinking about coaching in our state/division. Most of the club coaches in our area are in there forties. ( That may be in error, as there are younger coaches sprinkled throughout some clubs.)  It started me thinking about the next generation of coaches and clubs. I know some really fine young people in fencing and I know some social misfits. The social misfits might be good young people as well. It is just harder to know them.

Fortunately, I had the chance to sit and talk with Igor of Apex Fencing for a while. We were waiting outside for the reception to begin. I voiced my concerns about the next generation of clubs and coaches. He told me that in their club, they have young people that help teach the new students. Through a variety of helpful activities in their clubs, they are actively learning coaching skills.  I think the Apex model is a wonderful way to go.  Good for all concerned. This is an element of fencing so often over looked.



No comments: