Monday, April 18, 2016

See Post Below.


In the post below, I am working on making a long sword cheaply. Bought a blade from Albion. Found a  guard in the UK. Filed and ground the tang to fit. Made a grip. Found a pommel that would work in Australia. That is a long story short. It has been an interesting project, but has not turned out good enough to suit me. So, I will fork out the money and by an Albion sword for the artwork-like quality.

I recorded that story, so I could record these others.

Every time I mentioned buying an expensive sword, my wife would not say anything. However, she would look at me with eyes that said, " You would rather blow that money on something like that, rather than add to your grand-kids college fund?"


I had a similar conversation with my training partner. Also a woman. Also a nurse, who has seen her share of death. Her name is Henri.

Me: I want to buy an expensive long sword.

Henri: Why? What are you going to do with it?

Me:  I don't know. Work out a long sword kata. Practice with it.

Henri: ( Looks at me as if to question my intelligence.)

Me; ( Scrambling to recover) It's an art object. ( Scrambling to recover even more.) Besides....If I die with it in my hand, I can go to Valhalla.

Henri: ( Raises a brow and looks at me.) Do you have any idea of what the odds are that you will die with a sword in your hand?

Me: I know what the odds are if I don't have one.

1 comment:

Wesley said...

Zing! I'll be laughing about that one for a while. Good exchange =)