Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Improvement






Just got home from fencing in Chapel Hill. Very interesting night. In my last post, I mentioned that I was working on lunge and a beat to the forte; hit to the cuff; disengage and remise to the cuff. In an effort to remise, I must use little energy in the remise. I did not think I would be able to  do the change of energy part any time soon. Last week when working on my lunge, I told Coach that my legs are stiff. While they are still fairly strong, they are not very flexible. Coach remembered this and we worked on my lunge at first and he reduced the distance he was having me lunge by about nine inches. I was able to do the drill we were working on, with out extending my shoulder. Not only was I better technically in all aspects of my lesson, I was able to do the drill with a change of energy. I am amazed at what good coaches can figure out. It is really amazing.

I fenced better tonight as well. Not great, but better. After my lesson in Charlotte last week, it became clear to me that I was not focusing on near target nearly enough. Hey...I was working on other things and it just kind of fell through the cracks. I used it with some success tonight. I also had a couple of touches from lessons fairly long ago in Charlotte, when I was having trouble dealing with fencers that fenced with absence of blade. What I did worked pretty well , against a much better fencer than myself.

In summation, I did not fence well and my lesson was not perfection technically, but I made and could see that things were better. Improvement. It is so very satisfying.

I look forward to seeing if this holds true in Charlotte when I fence, provided it is not snowed out this week.

No comments: