Monday, January 5, 2015

Lessons Part 2.



I have been thinking about my last post, concerning the coaching/private lesson training lesson my coach gave me. It was great. I learned and remembered a lot.

I felt bad, because I could not give that sort of lesson well.

After some reflection, it occurred to me, that I have rarely been in a situation to give a lesson like that. Our epee class meets once a week for around and hour and a half. On a  good night, we have over a dozen or more epeeist. Only a few are above the beginner stage.

When I give a lesson ( one on one) it has to be shorter and more basic. I generally show an action or two static (with explanation on it's use), then with movement and throw in some vocabulary, which is as quickly forgotten as the fencing action. I get them to try it in a bout or two ( if possible) then rinse and repeat

There are a couple of people I can use my coach;s lesson style on. (If we have the time and they have the desire.) It would take a lot of that to become more proficient in this style of private lesson.

Someday, I hope to be able to give a decent lesson in some sort of adaption of Toomey's style.  I am not sure how or when this will happen, as there is currently no place/time to make it work. But maybe someday. It is a good goal to have.

No comments: