Friday, January 30, 2015

A Simple Conversation



The great secret that all old people share is that you really haven't changed in seventy or eighty years. Your body changes, but you don't change at all. And that, of course, causes great confusion.

  Doris Lessing   

This may not be true for all Vet 60 fencers, but it kind of hits home for me.  



Weird

Last night rather than a private lesson with my coach, we sat and I asked him questions and opinions about various footwork.    He has a very analytical mind. It is part of what makes him such a good coach.

We talked about using a "slide". Which he demonstrated perfectly and said he used often.

Now in the classes, we do "bouncing" before drills and bouting. Okay.....my aging form of bouncing barely qualifies, but my knees are working again and I hang with the kids. Though bouncing much will never be part of my footwork. During the 3 minute bouncing warm ups, he will call out actions. One if which, is always "slide". As God as my witness, I swear I saw him demonstrate it once and it was not a "slide". I looked at what the kids are doing around me and they are not doing a correct "slide".

Sooooo.....I think to myself.....Coach does not know what a correct "slide" is. I think to myself, he is a great coach, it is okay if he doesn't know one piece of footwork. He is still a good coach. I think to myself, who am I to correct him or say something in front of his students. Bad form. So, I suck it up and do the footwork like the kids I see around me. ( Note: My coach is always in front of the class, so he cannot see the action of the rear leg.) This has been going on for YEARS. A simple conversation cleared it up for me. From now on, I slide correctly.

Conversation, once in while, can be the best private lesson. Just not to often.


No comments: