Monday, May 19, 2014

This and That






The Future of the Club

One of our coaches just had her second child. She said she would continue (most likely) to coach after a leave of absence. I am not sure that she grasped what having a second child  will mean. This and other factors could end or possibly change our little club. We have shut down for two months this summer, for a much needed break. We have not done that in a decade. I wonder if we have enough students to pay the rent when we reopen.

I am not worried about it. It we continue....great. If not, that is okay as well. We are all volunteers. We don't make money on the deal.   We kept this club going for ten years after it's founder left. We have had many successes; helped a lot of kids and introduced a great many people to fencing. We have had kids make NCAA teams and do great in college club events.  More important, we helped kids develop socially.We gave back to the sport and I am proud of what we have done.

We will just have to see what happens.


Money and The Marx Clinic

This month many things are in competition for my limited fencing dollars.
1. Saving up for Nationals expenses.
2. About 200 dollars for a Marx clinic.
3.150 to 200 dollars for new club warm ups.

Can't do them all. I will rule out the warm ups for now, as I am in little danger of making it to a podium at Nationals. I have been to one Marx clinic before and I did not get much out of it. It was geared for coaches and students. I went as a student and it was heavy on the coaching side. This time the out line shows a lot of things that look like they are of value to me and it will be about 16 hours of training I could really use. I need to decide on something soon. It is this weekend. I hope I can make it.

Nationals....I am going. Not sure why,but I am.

Luck

There is a lot of luck in fencing. I am not talking about lucky touches or easy pools. In fencing as in buying a house. it is "location...location...location." I live in a dead area of fencing. It has been so hard to improve and my best years for improvement are behind me. 4 hour drives to Charlotte once a week or 2 hour drives to Chapel Hill (both round trips) to train once a week. I so envy those who  have a good club near by and can train often. You don't grasp what luck did for you.

There is more to it than that, if you think about it. You did not make the part of you that is driven to train hard or the part of you that was gifted with athletic ability, anymore than you made the part of you that likes to eat to many cookies. It was luck. It should keep us humble.





No comments: