Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Jim vs Knees


The first step in my attempt to help my knees and subsequently help my fencing at the same time is complete.

Down somewhere between 8 and 10 pounds in less than three weeks. The next goal is around 5 pounds away, but it will be harder.

Knees feel much better. I am taking MSM/Glucosamine. ( I never believed in this , as I had tried it before. However, all I had to loose was a bit of money.) I am working out hard. A lot of leg work and cardio. My weight is down a tad. What is making the difference, I cannot tell you.

I am uncertain how sustainable my diet and exercise regiment can be. More to the point, if I must increase exercise, I am not sure where that time will come from. I spend about an hour and half working out 4 or 5 days a week now. I think more than that might be over training. I could do split routines, as I did when I was younger, but there just isn't time. I coach twice a week ; get my own training once a week and there is generally some kind of practice or tournament most weekends.

Parts of my diet are sustainable. I am trying to eat slower and watch portion size. However, somewhere down the road, Chinese and Vietnamese food will call to me. When it does, portion control is just going to have to take a holiday.

When the weather warms up a bit, I may add walking to the exercise program. If you read about exercise programs for folks in their sixties, walking is going to pop up. I tend to think my body can handle a lot more than some 60 year old guys from a weight training perspective. I really do not think that is misplaced ego talking. Endurance wise, I have got a lot to work on. One of the most fun and interesting things ( And perhaps the only one.) is that I love to experiment with working out these days. It keeps me motivated.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Bravo, Jim! I am so happy for you - and proud of you too! I hope that your knees keep on the mend and fencing keeps getting better and better! I hope to see you sometime soon - I'm looking to take a trip to NC soon and will let you know if/when that happens! Maybe we can meet up for a nice, healthy lunch :) MISS YOU! 1