Friday, October 11, 2013

Tight Jaws and Italian Tips





A couple of weeks ago, I fenced in a Divisional tournament on the coast. My training partner was with me. She had an epee with an new kind of Italian tip. I talked to a couple of the refs about her using it. The shim test it will pass are very limited. I was ticking these guys off, trying to explain it was legal. My training partner often gets me in these situations. The only substantiating paper work we had to prove it was legal was written in Italian. We decided she should just use other weapons. Sadly, I had irritated people for no good reason. (Note: I kind of saw this coming when she bought the tip at Nationals,)

In this months "American Fencing Magazine" there is a small blurb under "Fencing's Urban Legends" that touches on the legality and shim test for these types of points. If any of the guys I talked to read this, I may be vindicated slightly and and my "jerk status" lessened.....slightly...in their eyes.

Am I super knowledgeable about this sort of thing? Heck no! I just happened to be in the right spot at Nationals to have it explained to me by a master armourer.

I do not really know why I entered this in my journal.  I think I am trying to figure out if there is a way to handle this type of situation without giving people "tight jaws".  Maybe not.

1 comment:

cobalt said...

I've just gone with the jerk status. If people don't want to accept the concept they're wrong, so be it. Lot of folks in fencing are doing this for their personal power trips. I use the "Colleen Test" to prevent me from actually going over the edge (Where she smacks me over the head repeatedly if I ever cross the line)

You forgot to mention you won the D&Under at that tourney. Small omission :-D