Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Nationals

 
Pictured above: Henri Gales showing bout slip which will get her a medal in Vet 60 Women's Epee. Also pictured in the back row making a face: Wes Barja Div II Men's Epee gold medal winner. In the yellow shirt; Wes's Dad ....John. And then me in the Carolina fencing shirt. The guy who ducked like a 13 year old foilist in a DE bout. I wish I had not seen that vid.


I got back from Nationals late Sunday night. This was my first National event in 4 years. Not due to lack of desire, but due to lack of funds. It was my second Summer Nationals. The first was when I had been fencing epee for about a month, but the drive was only an hour and half away. My goal for that event was to get a t-shirt. Mission accomplished. That was nine years ago. In between, I have been to about a half dozen NACs. The ones within driving distance.

I wanted to go to this one for a number of reasons. Most would be the normal reasons that everyone else goes for. But there were two main reasons. One is that for the last couple of years, I have been living National events vicariously through my good friend and training partner, Henri Ellen Gales. ( Henri is a girl. I know that it would be more correct to say women. However, there is a certain type of Southern woman that prefers the term "girl". That is Henri.) She picked up her second national medal. 7th place in Vet 60 Women's epee. Pretty damn impressive for a woman that has been fencing around seven years. I am beyond proud of her! I got to meet many of the friends she has made and now have faces to go with her stories. I had a great time doing this.

The other reason was for self evaluation. Now that I am 61 years old, I have been concerned on how this aging process is effecting my fencing. I have been very concerned. There has not been a large influx of new  young epeeist in my Division and the young ones I fence just get better and better. I know that the best goal for fencing is to just have fun. Sadly, I do not think I could have fun if I was just "pool fodder" or if someone is looking at me and thinking," Well at least the poor old guy is still out there trying." If I reach that point, it is time for me to stop competing. I don't want to stop. I needed to measure myself against other 60 year old men. That is hard to do. I would guess that many of the guys I fenced have been fencing for decades and not the 9 years I have been around. I was very apprehensive. If I did not make the cut, it might be time for me to hang up the blades. As it was, I finished in the lower middle of the pack. I now think ( And I hope I am right about this. ) that I can hang with about 50% to 75% of the pack. This is in part to my legs being better than some of the guys. I never thought that I would compare my legs to many people and they would be better. Who knew? I scored about 4 or 5 toe shots on guys because they were stationary.

I had what I think was a hard pool. I do not know this group of men, so I am basing that on the fact that 4 of the guys in my pool of six were in the top eight. I beat one of those guys and was close with another. The one I beat was due to me me seeing that he was a counter attacker. I got the first point and stopped attacking. Towards the end of the bout with something like 45 seconds on the clock and me being ahead something like 4-3, I noticed that he was still trying to get me to attack. He wasn't watching the time. I retreated past the box so he could not see the clock and stayed there until time ran out. Someone told  me about doing this years ago and this was the first time I ever had the chance to use that info in an event. In this event there were a couple of times when I fenced smart. This was one of them. Don't worry, I want let it go to my head.

I have real problems with the freakishly tall guys that fence French grips and pommel. I have one I can practice with at club that does this.  But he is just to darn good for me. In fact, he took gold in Div II epee. Way to go Wes!!!!!

So.....I ended up in the low middle of the pack. I made the cut. I did not do well, but did better than I thought I might. It left me with the confidence that I needed to continue fencing. What also left me with the confidence to continue were things people said to me in the venue/or via text about my fencing. I hope I always remember to say those types of things to others. These people did not even know what their words were doing for me.

I don't know where the next Vet NAC will be, but if I have the money and it is not to far away, I really want to go. This experience boosted my confidence and I think I can do better. Hope I get to find out.

1 comment:

pfly said...

My club has someone who fenced in the vet 60 women's epee too, Anna Telles. Doesn't look like your friend and mine fenced each other though. We have a few vet60s in our club, going strong, and a vet70, Don Penner, who took 8th in the vet70 men's epee. I haven't talked to Don about what keeps him fencing, I'm a little shy to broach the subject. But he's at the club at least three times a week.

I have trouble with tall pommelers too, heh. A little while ago I watched a smaller guy win against one of my club's very tall pommelers. It seems stranged to me how he (the smaller guy) kept bringing his blade waay back. Afterward I asked him and he simply said "ceding parries".

Anyway, I like your blog and hope you keep posting and fencing! Me, I'm 45 and just getting started fencing again after learning the basics way back as a kid. Sometimes I wish I had stuck with it when I was younger, but, well, here am I now, so.