Sunday, June 10, 2012

Off Topic


I just hit sixty. For some reason, it was a heck of a lot less traumatic than turning fifty. Except for leg flexibility and not being able to run, I don't see any major problems as I step across this threshold. It isn't a big deal.


I have decided to depart from just posting on fencing related topics today in celebration of my birthday. So.....in no particular order....here we go.


I like steam baths. The gym I belong to has a very nice steam bath. I use it as a reward for working out. More than the sauna or whirlpool, this is a slice of heaven. I have no idea why. I have read about the benefits of steam rooms on line. One or two seem like bull poop. If you have lived to be sixty, you have seen things like eggs and aspirins change sides on the "what-is -good-for-you" list many times. It makes you a bit skeptical when you read about the benefits of anything. When ever you see a steam room pictured on TV or a movie, it is often full of fat old men. Maybe it calls to us on some plane. I just like it.


I like to see girls with ponytails run. I know.....you think this might be sexual and at my age...a little creepy. But I don't mean it that way. It is the hair flipping back and forth. But it is also the grace of the run. I love the way some women move. More and more in this country you do not see it. But it is still there in Europe. Women that move with a feminine grace. Not feigned. Or if feigned, feigned so well that it appears natural. It is hard to explain....this movement. It could be anything from a tilt of the head to a way a woman moves on strip. I love feminine grace.


I love my two year old grandson. He is beautiful and brilliant. I am not just saying that because he is my grandchild. He is. At two, he can read all the numbers and most of the alphabet. He knows shapes like trapezoids and hexagons. He knows half the planets in the solar system by sight. It goes on and on. He is my pride and joy.


I hate people that park right up next to a store entrance in a fire lane. Handicapped people don't park that close. One day, I will snap when I see these lazy inconsiderate bastards. It is not going to go well.


I don't understand  young people that can't communicate. I can cut people my age or older some slack. You need to be a little tech savvy to communicate these days and some of them just don't have the skill. But you young people! What the hell?  You have some sort of communication device with you at all times. Many of you are so addicted to it, you have to check it every ten minutes. ( I am being kind there. Ten minutes may be too much.) Yet you can't answer a communication or let someone know when you will not be somewhere. I just don't get it. Maybe it is me or people my age. We had to work harder to communicate for most of our lives and understand the courtesy that should be involved. It was a lot harder with snail mail and phones that did not move or have voice mail. I should mention, that this does not apply to all young people.


I love people that try to help the future of fencing in this country. I want to yank a knot in those that are harming it.


Done. Moving on now.



Tuesday


Tuesday, I plan to have dinner with a couple of  fencing coaches that have over 90 years of  experience between them.  I have wanted to do this for a long time. When I was learning that which was my career, I learned a great deal from listening to the old guys at work talk. It is my hope to just be quiet and listen to these experienced coaches talk fencing. I might learn something! I think this will be so great. Can't wait to see how it goes. One of the coaches is my friend and mentor, so if it does not turn out like I think, I will still enjoy it. Also there will be fencing afterwards. Yay!

No comments: