Monday, August 22, 2011

Vet Clinic...It Turned Out Great!

Well, the first in what may be a series of vet clinics is over and was a huge success.

I did not know what to expect. Coach was organized; had notebooks for everyone and it just went really great. I think part of what made it great was the fact that Coach is just so charismatic.

People applauded for me for organizing the event and I heard there was some discussion about it at the Division meeting. I would not be telling the truth if I did not say it made me feel good.

The Vet community has been something Coach has discussed many times with other Coaches and Vets as one that gets swept under the carpet because it is complicated? Vets are a diverse group of varied levels of age, body parts that work and don't work, commitment, time / travel / money concerns and various understandings of the sport.

I came to a realization during the clinic, that had never occurred to me in any large degree. I know a few things things that a lot of people in the Division do not know relative to fencing. Okay....that sounds sort of snotty and cocky and the truth of the matter is that not much of it makes me a better fencer. For example: Fencing vocabulary. This is a hard subject to feel competent in. The reason is that it is like a language that has many different dialects. The first two things Coach works on you with are (and mostly at the same time) are being technically correct and fencing vocabulary. I would say the vocabulary is his dialect. He has to teach you his language, so he can communicate with you about fencing. I worked/trained with Coach for four years, so I speak his language, though I am not totally fluent. Some of his language I do not use often. I will never reach a level of fencing where I use Feint in Tempo. In Coaches College, I learned different definition's than Coach uses for simple things like remise and reprise, so when I talk to Coach I must translate some of the language of fencing in to the Coach dialect...or vice versa.

Two of the the new things that learned from the clinic were rather simple, but they stay hanging in my mind. No one ever explained to me that in the simple version of the tactical wheel, that if you draw a line across the wheel, they are the same actions. For example: You start with a simple attack. If you draw a line across it to the six o'clock area on the wheel (to feint deceive) that is also a simple attack. Why the heck didn't somebody point this out to me long ago?

I also need to get serious about stretching. It is one of those things I do even less than cardio. I am all about doing anaerobic training. I know I must change my gym routine. I am going to do this.

Coach was generous in his giving of time for this event. I sing his praises. However, I hope many that attended will think of his wife (Sususn) and all that she did behind the scenes. Shopping;cleaning; cooking and planning. Also she was "communications central" for me in organizing this event. She is a incredibly interesting woman and I am glad that she now feels accepted in Coach's fencing family. I know how important it is to feel that. Yay Susun!

1 comment:

cobalt said...

Glad to hear it went well. Hearing from a lot of folks that they enjoyed themselves!

The interesting part will be figuring out a cost for it in the future.