Thursday, June 2, 2011

Foil and Epee Clinic

This weekend I head to my first ever Michael Marx camp in Manassas,VA. (Michael Marx is an Olympian who competed both in foil and epee.) I have been looking forward to it for over a month. It is the "big" thing I am doing so far this year in fencing. (Meaning I have not been to any national tournaments or training sessions that require much travel.)

While I am looking forward to it, I am also a little apprehensive. The total cost is fairly expensive. What if I don't get anything (learn anything)I can apply to my fencing? Learning about fencing is easy. Applying what you learn to fencing is difficult. I think particularly so when you are a late blooming vet fencer.

There are six of us going. We have rented a van and will ride up together. This is a true road trip! Okay...true road trip.....without beer.

I once asked a person whose opinion I respect about going to a Marx camp. The person replied that Marx was a bit arrogant. A coach who was listening piped in, "Imagine that.....an arrogant fencer." It still makes me smile when I think about it.

I hope to record how this went after it is over.

1 comment:

cobalt said...

No beer...I disagree...there will be beer somewhere along the way.

Hmm...Michael never struck me as arrogant in regards to coaching...