Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Epee Fable and The Off Season

There is rarely much of interest to read online about fencing. The lowest point for things to read in this country is during summer (the off season) and during Summer Nationals (which is this week). (Except for results of the tournament and interesting post on Facebook about the event.) Summer Nationals is the big national tournament with around 6,500 fencers in attendance. I am not attending this year, even though it is fairly close. I hate I missed it.
I decided to post something about fencing online. It will not be interesting either, but somehow it helps with the lack of fencing I am experiencing.

1. Broken epee blades make nice stakes for your tomato plants. They are easy to insert in the ground. I knew they were good for something!

2. A definition: Epeelysia or The Epeelysian Fields (PN) The place where the souls of virtuous epeeist find peace and a place to bounce in the afterlife.

(Note: I saw this some place on Fencing.net and really liked it. I tried to find the post again to give credit to the person who wrote it, but was unable to find the post again.) Further info: The Elysian Fields, or the Elysian Plains, were the final resting places of the souls of the heroic and the virtuous in Greek mythology.

3. An Epee Fable By Jim Kent

Once upon a time, a young epeeist wandered through his back yard. Like all good epeeist, he carried his beloved weapon in his gloved hand. In his frustration (Caused by lack of fencing….no doubt.) he whipped his blade back and forth making a Zorro- like sound as his blade cut through the air. He spotted the laundry his mother had hung out to dry in the warm sun and advanced and bounced toward it. He in engaged a damp shirt with his blade and poked a wet towel from extension distance. He turned and lunged into one of the poles holding up the rope on which his mother’s wash was hung. Sadly, a nest of wasps were living in that pole. They swarmed out and attacked the young epeeist. He dropped his weapon and fled the backyard screaming and peeling off his clothes as he ran.

Moral: The moral of the story is: “Never attack into a close line.”

2 comments:

Thomas William Jensen said...

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the morning chortle. I shall definitely considering looking forward to Epeelysian fields. As for attacking into a "close line," I fear I still do that far too often. And, as for nothing to read about fencing online in July, your blog is the clear counter example. Finally, I share your sense that fencing could take an interesting step in popularity, though I'm not sure why.

The Gray Epee said...

Hi Thomas:

Thanks for the kind words. Perhaps we will meet someday at a National event....or on the Epeelysian fields. I would like that.