Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Gift

I discovered this week that Coach Miller has given me a gift that I did not know I had.

I was working with an adult partner in the 4 week “Introduction to Fencing “class. I was the leader of course. (Note: Read leader as target.) I discovered that I can see all the things in other people fencing epee that he has corrected in me over the years. I can see every dang one of them. I have to make myself focus and I do not see them as fast……but I see them. Who knew?

(To-soon-the-foot disease; proper en guard in six; point is to high in the action; elbow pooches out; shoulder to tense;not holding the weapon properly; drifting out of six into four;not enough energy; thinking speed equates to energy; arm is to tense; using to much wrist and arm and not enough fingers; action to big; cannot relax arm after touch to second parry;pulling pack the arm(punching);knees not bent; returning to en guard is wrong;retreat starts to soon......I mean the list just goes on and on......and this was a simple drill. I just became mesmerized with what I could see!)

I also found that I have the hardest time not giving a student too much information. I don’t do this often, but I want to do so. If you give them too many things to think about as they do an action their minds turn to mush. This is another thing I learned from Coach. He always knows when my mind is on overload. Knowing when to give a person more information….knowing when they are ready to handle it……..that is the part of coaching that is hard for me to understand.

1 comment:

cobalt said...

Avoiding information overload is the trickiest part of a coach. You can only pick on a few things at a time.

Now the trick is: What happens when they do those things wrong. Because you need to be able to answer that question...

"Why should I just use my fingers on this parry?"
"Because if you move your arm on this, you'll lose power and speed."
"That doesn't make sense."
"Watch."
I attack, they parry using their arm, I fight their parry with a clean parry and throw their weapon down to the ground.
"See what I mean?"
"Yes, sir."

After enough of those, they'll trust you a little more. (But encourage them to ask useful questions[discourage the useless ones])