Tuesday, April 27, 2010

2010 Southeast Sectional Championship

This weekend I will fence in the 2010 Southeast Sectional Championship tournament.

Why am I doing this? I have no idea.

Okay.....I have some idea. First, it is in my hometown. I feel obligated to be a part of it.

Other than my training partner and I, there will not be much (if any)involvement from the two local clubs from the standpoint of helping with the tournament. That bothers me. So,we will at least represent Greensboro Fencing Club.

Editors Note: I am not sure if we are The Greensboro Fencing Club or The Greensboro Fencers Club. We were formally the Downtown Fencing Club and I still use that to register. I guess it does not matter that much to me at the moment.


We have gathered info pamphlets for visitors. We have picked up other pamphlets for a friend. I have sent out a ton of press releases to various medias.

Friday night, we will help with set up. After that my conscience will be clear.

In fencing, I think there are around 45 entries in senior epee. Most are highly ranked fencers (and even the ones that aren't are mostly WAY better than me) and I think I am ranked third from the bottom in the initial seed. I am going to get creamed. Oddly that does not bother me much. I will fence in a big pool; go out my first DE and be done early in the day.

I am going to work on distance and being relaxed during the event.

$50.99 is a lot of money for fencing in this event, when you are not competitive. I justified it by figuring twenty dollars and a tank of gas would cost about the same thing if I went to another local tournament.

I will get to watch Henri and Kerry fence on Saturday. I am thinking about inviting my oldest friend to drop by and watch some of the sport. I am going to try and make this a fun weekend. We will see how it works out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give you a motivational speech summed up to what i remember that a coach once told me: You dont have to prove shit to the opponent, play the underdog and you got nothing to lose and all to gain.