Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas and Down Time

Christmas Break

The Christmas season means a break from fencing.

I use to want one. I wanted a break right up to the point where I had one….then I could not wait for it to start again.

This time I have mixed emotions about it.

I feel like I am just on the edge of understanding some things about fencing. This is difficult to explain. Knowledge is not coming as fast as it once did and even after all this time, I am ravenous for it. I must be. Last night I watched a young woman do a drill in foil. Her actions were so crisp and graceful…..just for a moment…..I wanted to study foil. My hunger for learning in fencing seems to be spreading out. I want to learn more about almost any aspect of the sport.

Coach has often said, “There are no secrets in fencing.” Perhaps that is true, but often in my study of this sport it does not seem that way. If you do not understand what better fencers/coaches know….it might as well be a secret. How do I pursue my study within the limitations of my situation? That is a big question.

Last night was my last private lesson with Coach until January 12th. There will be bouting next week, but no lessons.

I thought Coach made an interesting observation after last night’s lesson. He said my training partner had the energy and I had the patience. He said we needed to move toward each other’s strength…or words to that effect. We have always been the Yin and Yang. It makes sense.


Charlotte Fencing Academy Tournament


This weekend I will fence at a Charlotte Fencing Academy tournament. I am looking forward to it. I hope my teammates decide to join me.

After that, I do not see a chance to compete until mid February.

Courtney

Courtney will return from Hungary soon for the holidays. Courtney is a UNC fencer studying abroad. The truth is I never knew her that well when she was here. However, I read her journal religiously and I feel like I have gotten to know her through her writing.

I worry about her. I hope she gets to see her NC friends and fencing family over the holidays. She needs a break with friends and some North Carolina food. Renewed, she can then continue her adventure.

Fencing in Greensboro

Tonight Coach may show up for a group lesson in Greensboro. God….and Coach…..they work in mysterious ways.

The Greensboro Fencing Club will continue with its program through December without much of a break. We have some momentum going with membership of 10 to 12 year olds and want to keep it up. I wish we had some adult sized people so I could bout more locally….but we don’t.

We now need to figure a way to add another strip to our small space. I do not remember if we have another set of working reels and a box. We so need to replace the batteries for those things.

It sounds like things are going well in Greensboro and to a certain extent they are.
There are some problems. We need some new weapons; youth weapons and chest protectors. However we are all volunteers and all the money goes to the people who own the space. It is a dilemma.

We also do not schmooze enough with parents and fencers. We don’t sell the program. We are just a loose little group of people who love fencing and are trying to keep it going in our part of the state.

I am not sure that a strong leader and a more businesslike approach would work with our group of coaches. We all have problems with authority. It would most likely be death for the club.

I suspect that as long as we exist..….we will be what we are. There is nothing wrong with that.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Hopefully I'll see you over break! I think you got to know me pretty well while I was in NC - though I was bouncing all over the place :) I know what you mean about needing a break from fencing but feeling like you don't want one at the same time. Merry Christmas - but I hope I will see you in person to give you a hug and tell you myself!