Thursday, September 3, 2009



( I have always been told that there is nothing more sexy than a man doing dishes. You don't think I am being "played" do you?)

I am not fencing very well of late.

Editors Note: By that statement, I am of course referring to the limitations of my own ability.

It is most likely due to several things. I am also wondering if age is catching up with me. One of the many things that is wrong is that I catch myself standing still on strip. I am also very tired of late. I do not know what that is all about. Another may be that I am just not getting enough bouting in.

But what kind of bouting?

I see myself as a " D and Under " kind of fencer. Once in a while,I luck up and do okay in higher level tournaments.

Here is a question I ask myself of late. Is it better to fence "A and B" fencers and mostly be their target or to look for practice partners that are just a bit beyond your ability.

I have come to the conclusion that I am just not smart enough to figure out what a good "A" fencer is doing on my own. By that I mean that I almost never come away from a practice bout with something new to work on, or that I can try and emulate.


You Would Think This Would Be A Small Problem

I want a target at my home. Not a tennis ball hanging sort of thing, but a strong stationary target.

I have decided that it would be good for me to work on some basics. I am not happy with my lunge and I feel that I need to work on adding a couple of odd things to muscle memory.

If I had this target at home I would shoot for 5 good actions of the following every day:

A. 4 Infighting actions
B. From extension distance
C. 2 actions that there are not names for in fencing.
D. Lunge
C, Advance lunge


Doing this would not take very long and I do not see how it could do anything but be of benefit.

The problem is where to do I put such a target.

In the house? I don't think that will fly.

On a tree? I would feel funny with the neighbors watching.

The deck seems the best choice, but I just had it rebuilt. I need a way to mount something that will take a hit, but could be taken down without showing that it was there.

I need to give this some more thought.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Some advice I was given years ago was that if you can't score on someone consistently, every time, they still have something to teach you. Most people like to fence someone at or above their level. But how many of us get overconfident when fencing someone below our level?

There is a certain tragedy in having no one above your level to practice with, however. Part of the reason I'm burned out from coaching right now. Oh, there's folks that can beat me, sure, but we're all kind of caught in this loop of making the same mistakes over and over again because our practice pool is so small.

Anyway I'm going to be working more on art this year so I don't think I'll be around much. The good news though: more comics coming soon!

cobalt said...

It's good to have a bunch of practice partners of varying levels. Even as an "A" fencer. I've seen A's lose to U's a bunch of times. You can't get overconfident.

I'd also recommend asking the higher rated fencers, what they are doing/seeing. A large part of it is just playing the odds.

Regarding the target, I always liked the little ping pong ball/mini tennis ball. I also like the heavy bag we use in the club. It replicates the curves you have to deal with when hitting an opponent. You can also make a fencing dummy and put it up against a wall, but I've never been a huge fan of those. Just doesn't seem realistic.

@Meredith: Woot, more comics!