Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Short Mindless Post

I have been fencing a little bit for the last week and half. A little footwork and a bit of fencing. Some of it dry. (Steam for my UK friend.)

While fencing dry is not as much fun, I am finding it a good way to work on somethings. (As I do not get caught up in the score.)

I have not been going to the gym like I should. I have a couple of joints that have been hurting and I have been waiting for them to feel better. My thinking now tells me it is related to age and it is time to suck it up and just head to the gym and see what happens. Naturally most of the pain is in my weapon arm shoulder.

My son is heading back to UNCC this weekend. I had given some thought to going to a tournament down there as I would be in the neighborhood. Sadly, it does not seem to be filling up. My son is now talking about going down on Friday, so it may not matter anyway.

I just finished mowing in the back yard and hacking at some brush. I am waiting for my turn at the shower and to use some stuff to get rid of poison ivy oils. I think I will need that.

For some reason while I was working, I began to think about my "kneeling squat". I don't have a name for it. I sometimes kneel in an effort to avoid the blade in fencing. I could never do those skinny kid squats to avoid the blade, even when I was a skinny kid. I got this from Tommy a long time ago. (Before he improved so much.)

I never plan on doing it. Much like I never plan on a lunge. It just happens. Mostly with success, though not always.

I am now trying to decide if it is a good idea or not. When I do this my knees in my en guard are bent more than they should be. (Maybe?) A small matter I will give more thought to as I shower.

No comments: