Sunday, August 2, 2009

Good News/Bad News

Bad news: I got laid off. Good news: I can fence again: ( At least, in a more limited manner due to finances.)

I have not yet determined the best way to get the most bang for my buck. Right now, I think I will stick with NCFDP. I miss working with Coach.

I am not sure what to do about the Greensboro Fencers' Club (formerly the Downtown Fencing Club).

While we were at the "Y", I knew my place in the scheme of things. I was a good, dependable helper, and could be counted on to "sub" as a coach when needed.

Since the move to a new space this summer, there are very few kids to work with. I do not feel all that needed or a part of things there any more. However, I have friends there and I want to be a part of it as long as it can hang on. But what kind of part? And does my part fit my friends view of that "part"?

It is complex. I need to think on this a while.


Divisional Observers

I am thinking about doing one of these Divisional Observers Clinics. I can't think of many things worse than having to hang around a fencing tournament and not able to play.

The post on Ask Fred states that clubs which do not have members to do this will not be able to have sanctioned tournaments.

It seems a bit funny, as it is being held during a time when the college kids who run the college clubs are not here to participate.

I figure, if I do this, and I am, at present a member of two clubs, they both are covered.



Weird


It is strange how when I was not fencing this summer, that the fact that three of my best weapons will not pass a shim test(and an overzealous ref was concerned about a dent in my mask)did not bother me at all. That kind of thing use to worry me to death until they were fixed. Not so much at the moment. I am heading to the post office now to mail in my USFA membership.

I guess I am back.

3 comments:

Kathz said...

I don't know what to say - it's rotten to be laid off and terrific that you're fencing again. I hope things work out for you.

I shall get back to proper blogging soon - it's been a difficult month.

cobalt said...

Sad to hear you got laid off...happy to see you back in the game though.

I don't believe these are the last of the observer seminars. The ones at the beginning of the season are required, because clubs are starting up. I believe they'll do more if situation demands.

Lance said...

I've been a lurker reading your blog pretty much since it started. it saddened me to to read about your job loss and that you woudn't be fencing. I kinda stopped checking in after that. Today I looked in and saw you're back at it. Not exactly sure why, but seeing that sorta made my day.

For what it's worth, I'm 46, and have been fencing for 7 years, mostly epee nowadays. I very much can relate to many of the topics you discuss on your blog.

I've been on hiatus since June waiting for some tendonitis to heal. I'm getting ready to start up again even though my elbow still hurts.

Guess I'll be back to regularly reading your blog as well.