Saturday, May 2, 2009

Postings Will Be Less Frequent

It is a sad time and depressing time for me.

Like many companies these days, the one for which I work is encountering financial difficulties.

My job is tied to the housing industry.

Last week, I found out that I would almost certainly lose my job by August. I worked a deal (if a deal is what you can call it) and took a job in Indiana. I will drive eight hours every Monday......work there through the week..........and drive eight hours home on Friday. Even doing this, my job can not be considered secure. There is still risk and uncertainty.

So, for the foreseeable future, fencing will become something I do whenever I can find the time and a place.

There is no choice in the matter. I have a son in college and a wife with huge medical expenses.

Like I said, even this does not offer definite security regarding my employment.

If I were unemployed, I would have time for fencing, but not the finances to do so.

My career has always been very specialized. As furniture is no longer made in the US, that has eliminated that option. I can get a job in China...I think....but my wife could not be without the medical treatment here, and I would need to live there and my family here. I have seen how this has worked for other people. Let's just say the results are not pretty.

There are also laws about hiring in the US (if there were jobs to be had), but anyone in their fifties know that there is prejudice in hiring someone in our age group.

Relocation is not much of an option. I can't sell my houses.

I will just have to see what the future brings.

I suspect posts on this blog to be less frequent.

I love fencing. It is/was my passion.

However, my greatest regret is not missing the fencing, but missing the people I care about who fence.

For the time being, I am going to buy a leather bound journal and record some of the things I have learned about fencing epee. I will include drawings (I was an art major).

I have always had a fantasy that one of my grandchildren (when I get some) would find something like this and become interested in fencing.

That's pretty unlikely. However, once in a blue moon, I buy a lottery ticket.

Grey Epee....over and out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, I'm truly sorry to hear this news. I know this may not give you much comfort now or ease your worries, but things do have a way of working out...and many times for the best. Please let us know if you need anything...after all we are family!

Much love, Sharon, Richard and Nicole

meredith d. said...

Jim, Sad to hear about your situation. I, too, need to cut back on fencing in the coming year and it is a sad decision. But with this economy we all must make these hard choices. I hope you will pull through and I will see you on the strip again sometime. It was a pleasure. -Meredith

PS: I'd love to see your drawings! (You can post with a camera phone if you don't have a scanner!)

kathz said...

That's very sad news. I hope things work out for you all and that you manage to continue fencing.

I think everyone is vulnerable in the current economic climate. I hope that people reach and out and help one another rather - competition is fine on the piste (strip in U.S.) but I think co-operation works best in everyday life.

cobalt said...

Really sad news to hear Jim. I'll miss seeing you around.

If finances allow, think about checking out the clubs in Indiana. It'll probably feel different from what you're used to, but at least you'll still have an outlet.

http://fencing.teamusa.org/content/index/3992

Woody said...

I second the Indiana club idea. There is good fencing wherever you can find it, and now more than ever you will need to fill those idle moments with happiness.