Saturday, October 11, 2008

Moving Day


Well, I am back or....here....as the case may be. I have been keeping a journal concerning my journey in the world of fencing sense the summer of 2005. It had been on AOL Journals, but they closed that area down ( or will October 31st, 2008) and after some deliberation, I moved.

I think I have all my old journal in the archives of this one. The truth is that this really is like moving into a new house and all my stuff seems to be in boxes and I cannot find things. I will unpack later.

After all this time keeping a journal elsewhere, I believe that I will repost my first entry. It may expalin some things

When I turned 50, it was rather bothersome. I was going to the gym regularly, but I felt like I was training for no purpose. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself as I was getting older. I was feeling sorry for myself, because I had no passion. Sense I graduated from college, I have always had a passion.


Some lasted more than decades and some just a year or two. By passions, I mean martial arts, furniture, working out and art. Those were big ones. Smaller ones like dabbling in languages or Napoleonic history came and went, though the little ones still surface briefly from time to time.

As I turned 51, I was beginning to think maybe this is what growing older is like. No passion. Just take your self home every night and plop your big butt in front of the TV or computer. Then I took a CALL class at UNCG. An introduction to foil fencing.

Suddenly there was the fire! I loved it. I was terrible at it, but I loved it! It was like a fast paced video game with sweating and being out of breath. It was like combat without pain. ( A few bruises once in a while and a shot to the groin could be a bad day.....but basically no pain, except for some sore muscles.) My mind was consumed by it. I read everything I could find about it. As soon as the course was over I had joined a local fencing club. I felt alive again.


After four and a half years, it still makes me feel alive. It is still my passion and obsession.

So much has changed in that time. Four years after taking that introductory class I was helping to teach it.

I have learned so very much and yet I know so little.

This is my introductory post for my new location. After this I will record my days and weeks in fencing as I have always done.







2 comments:

Indigo said...

I'm delighted to find you on this side of the blogsphere dear friend! Thank you for reposting your first entry in the world of journaling, I had not previously read that one. Here's to new adventures and challenges. (Hugs)Indigo

Kathz said...

Good to see you at blogger. Amd great to re-read your very first post.