Sunday, September 21, 2008


If I was writing this at 8:30 Saturday night, I am sure there would have been a different slant to this entry. My self esteem was at a all time low and I was depressed and tired.

Now it is Sunday around lunch time.

Saturday morning, I went to a  ref seminar taught by Derek Cotton. He is a world class fencing referee, who refs at national and international events, including the Olympics. It did not take long to find out that he was an extremely intelligent man with a quick and unique wit. It also did not take long to find out I was screwed as far as finding a way to pass the epee portion of the ref exam, as two minutes into the program he announced that he would not be reviewing the material needed to pass the exams.

I understood why immediately, so that was not a big disappointment. There were groups from a number of clubs present and of course this group was made up of varying levels of experience and need. Also, it would have been a waste of this man's knowledge and ability to focus on the mundane. I should have figured that out before I went.

I learned a great deal from this event and/or it prepared me more should I delve into reffing ROW weapons or reffing in general. I don't see that happening anytime in the near future, as I am never going to pass the epee part of the exam. Yep....another "wiffer". Evidentially the 4th time is NOT the charm and I am an idiot. I suspect that the general part of the written I passed will expire and I will also never pass that again.

In truth I know I am not an idiot, I am just insane. I know that because I keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. That is a hallmark of insanity.

That is enough sulking on my part.

Did I learn a lot of interesting things. Yes. Do I have any way to apply what I learned. No. However, all knowledge is useless, right up to the point were you need it.

Another interesting thing happened at the ref seminar. About an hour into the program, Derek got sick as a dog. There are about 30 people at the event and I notice no one is doing anything for this guy. He is an over 40, over weight and a black male. I mention the black male, as black men are more prone to hypertension, thus you should be more watchful for heart attack and stroke. I am sitting there just like everyone else and I finally look at Henri and we know we better do something. Derek is outside. Henri does her nurse stuff and I go buy crackers, meds and ginger ale for this guy and return. It is to no avail and we know he needs to go lie down for a while if he has any chance of continuing. I would have bet the farm at this point, that he was not going to be able to do that. I talk to Donny about this. ( A good man who is heading up the show.) Tom Bryan seems unhappy with this course of action, but what else is to be done. Mario, Henri and I take Derek back to his hotel in my car. It was only through luck that I knew were his hotel was and he certainly did not. Fortunately he did not puke in my car. However, he did sit in my car and "hurl" the parking lot of the hotel for what seemed to be an eternity. I am sure it seemed like an even longer time for him. He finally stops and we get him up to his room. He instructs us to pick him back up around 11:30. Frankly, I did not think that was going to happen, but it did. He went on to give an informative and surprisingly energetic program. He is a trooper. He would have been even more impressive, if he had told us " thank you". Which he never even implied. I know I should let something like that go and it is no big deal, but I was taken aback by it. If you think about it, I should not have been though. Fencers are weird people. Even if you find one that can pass for normal, that is sort of weird in it's self.

As I mentioned before, no one was doing anything that I could see and Henri and I took over. Am I saying," Yay for us!" Nope...I am not. What struck me about the situation was that I felt like we were a Divisional Mom and Dad. In retrospect, it is not the first time I felt that way. Do I really mean that? No.....and kind of. I have not sorted it out yet.

I generally  am diplomatic as to what I say in my journal, because I am never sure who reads it. However, at this point in time, I am tired and a bit irritable. So if anyone that was involved with the event, has a problem with the way we handled things with Derek or that we sort of took over when he was ill.................bite me. You don't like should have gotten involved.

This was a two day event. I did not go back for day two, as I had had enough. I did not go to UNC and fence, as was my back up plan. I was kind of down on fencing and myself due to my failure and I was just not in the mood for either event.

What I am in the mood for is a nap.

It seemed like I had a lot more to write about in regards to this event. When the cob webs clear from my head, I might add to this. I did learn a bit Saturday and I am grateful to the people that arranged for Derek to be here this weekend. Thank you.


dbdacoba said...

With or without a "thank you" you did the right thing and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.                   DB

ncfence004 said...

I did the right thing!

cobaltblade said...

Well, I was glad you and Henri did...Henri was the most knowledgeable person to help aid the situation.  Though I think everyone was concerned...we just didn't have much we could do aside from pointing him to the bathroom.

I was glad everything went ok.  Donny set up something well organized, gets everyone on the same page...then Derek gets sick.   I was thinking, "God, this division's karma just sucks..."

A little lateness was no big what can you do, not anyone's fault.  I was more ticked off that the service at the restaurant above was slow and delayed us from getting back faster.   We just did some crash studying for the written test.

And in fairness to Derek, his primary concern at that point was probably puking...not thanking...