Thursday, September 11, 2008

Short Boring Post/ Note to Self: Skip This and Read Something Else.

Tuesday I had a different sort of private lesson

I think I had a major break through in correcting a problem I have had for over a year.

When I start in six and am to recover in six, I often have a tendency to drift into four when I recover. My outside arm is exposed.

When I do this my arm tends to stiffen/not be relaxed as I am trying to muscle my way to target.

In my mind I was always trying to be in the same fighting line as Coach's blade, but without changing my strip position. I think I have it now, thanks to Coach,s patience. If I had been him I would have killed me long ago. ( I have mentioned this before. But even though Coach and I are not that far apart in age, I just can't call him Ron. I have done it once or twice and it always felt....disrespectful....wrong...sac religious. It is a weird and strange feeling.)

Jim...you Bozo....just angle the blade sort of like you do when you take the blade in eight or do angulated attacks. Work on the double beat, double pick, remeise.

Also remember N
O remise d'arrete
. ( That is spelled wrong, but I know what it means. I have looked for the correct spelling on line more than once and have never found it.)


(remise d'arrĂȘt is the correct spelling....I find out a bit later.)



Hey...I told you to go read something else.




2 comments:

cobaltblade said...

You're not alone.  That is honestly a problem with almost every new/intermediate fencer.  Even advanced fencers will drift back inside sometimes.

I think it comes from 2 concepts:

1.) People want to naturally tend towards center with their blade because of vision
2.) People want to reach for touches with their hand and not the tip of the blade

Food for thought when you're helping newbies.

I personally just tag my fencers on the hand when giving them lessons to show them exposed.  In extreme circumstances, they owe me pushups.

dbdacoba said...

I'm glad I read this.          DB