Sunday, August 31, 2008

Not the Version I am Looking for...But Close...and Sweet.



It can't all be fencing.

Many years ago, I borrowed a cassette tape from a friend. It was a collection of different female Celtic singers. My friend (who was BEYOND blonde) said the name of the tape was "Celtic Women".  I have found several albums by that name, but never one with this tune listed on it. I have found several variations of it on line, but not the one I want. The title is
Fear a'bhàta (The Boatman)

Fear A Bhata (The Boatman) <~~~ Note different spelling.



How often haunting the highest hilltop
I scan the ocean, your boat to see
Will it come tonight love, will it come tomorrow
Or ever come love to comfort me

Fear a bhata sna hóro éale
Fear a bhata sna hóro éale
Fear a bhata sna hóro éale
So fare thee well love where ever thou be

There's not a hamlet, too well I know it
Where you go wandering or rest a while
But only it's old folk you win with talking
And charm its maidens with song and smile

Fear a bhata sna hóro éale
Fear a bhata sna hóro éale
Fear a bhata sna hóro éale
So fare thee well love where ever thou be

There are so many different spellings of the name of this tune and the lyrics vary as well. It speaks to it's age..


It was without a doubt the most feminine voice I have ever heard. I still "climb the highest hill top" sometimes to look for it, but I know it is all in vain.

No comments: