Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lazarus Long

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

 Lazarus Long

I have always liked this  quote from Lazarus Long. In fact ( though not on purpose/ or knowingly ) I have to some degree based my life on this.


Last night at foil, I found that I might be better off as an insect and just stay with epee.


I lead with my gut. I don't even extend....the whole thing  does not work correctly in my mind.


I use to beat myself up over the fact that I could not fence this weapon. Now a days, it make me curious as to why.


I am going to dabble in it for a while.

3 comments:

dbdacoba said...

Fascinating quote.  I wonder if any human being is capable of all those things.  Though I don't like specialization either, I think a person has to choose what he wants to know how to do.  There's the interesting, the enjoyable and the necessary.  I can write a sonnet, give orders and change a diaper, but if I had a hog I'd hire a butcher to take it out.           DB

rdautumnsage said...

When you consider your choices are infinite, why would you limit yourself. I've found I'm constantly pushing the restraints to what I'm knowledgable about. I'll learn something well, only to soon grow bored and move on to the next challenge. It keeps you young and on your toes never knowing exactly were you fit in the grid of life. (Hugs)Indigo

mattacox2003 said...

Apropos, Heinlein was a fencer at Annaplois in the 1920s.