Thursday, June 5, 2008

Summer is Coming.

Tuesday I fenced at UNC. I got there late but had time for private lesson with Coach Miller.

After all this time, I still have trouble coming into a good enguard in six. This weekend, every chance I get I will be working on this. My tip did not lift as often during drills, but Coach did make me do push ups ( not many ) for blowing it once. I happen to like push ups and have never done them with a mask on.

I only had time to fence once. I fenced Keith from Touche. I have gotten to know him a little better sense he has been fencing there. He is a really nice guy. Keith won 15-14, but it was good bout. I was fencing with a pistol grip. I am gaining more confidence in using it.

Even though I wish I would see progress technically, I feel that of late I am fencing better and making some progress.

Henri was at UNC Tuesday night. I watched her private lesson with Coach. Her attacks are so graceful and athletic. I am so proud of her. I thought of a couple of years ago when she use to advance by hopping like a bunny. What a difference!

Coach Miller came to Greensboro for the last group lesson until next fall. It was a lecture of sorts. We asked questions and he answered. Once in a while he would ask us a question. Poor Nicole. She is a girl of action and all this talking is not her cup of tea. On the other hand, I love it. I could listen to knowledgeable people talk about fencing all night.

I think I have been studying with Coach Miller for close to two years. I don't know Coach at all and at the same time I know a lot about him.

Some people will tell you that the eyes are the mirror to the soul. Perhaps.....but I think fencing beats that hands down. Just off the top of my head, I can think of around a thousand ways that fencing or coaching give insight into your personality. I am not talking about the obvious things like how you handle victory or defeat. ( Though those are powerful insights into character.) I am talking about how coaches talk to kids when they are doing poorly at a tournament. The way fencers or coaches treat clubs that are hosting an event. Do they go out of their way to thank them? Do they exhibit good sportsmanship when they are at another club. That may be a bit old fashioned, but I hope it is not. Do they admit when the touch hit the toe and not the floor? Easy to do if you have a big lead, harder to do if you are down by two. Would your coach tell you to admit the hit? Would it make a difference how they ( the coach ) felt about it? The list goes on and on.

Not all insights are concerned with a person being a stand up guy or a dill weed. There are lots of other traits in fencing that reveal your personality. Humor...or the lack of it. Fear or courage. I can think of a small woman with gray hair fencing a young man that is six feet four inches tall and a high rated fencer. Tell me that does not show grit! And she goes back and does it again and again.

Every once in a  while you will see a kid on strip that thinks he is in a Renaissance Fair or something. He will do some sort of weird flowery salute. I have no idea what that reflects in a persons personality. It must mean something more than your indicators are about to get better.

So what do I know about Coach Miller? He will give you a dash of positive reinforcement when you need it or deserve it. He has the patience of Jobe. He must or he would have beat me to death with a bell guard by now. I know how many people love him. That says a lot. But most of all I know the sparkle in his eye when he talks about fencing. I am not joking...his eyes sparkle!


3 comments:

epeeallday said...

o and have u fenced holt yet?

epeeallday said...

yea i think we all have seen his eyes sparkle when he talks about fencing or u really see them sparkle when you make a clean action that is executed to his liking and hits in the tempo he wants. as for his patience, im sure hes had practice with the walkons he turns into winners.

rdautumnsage said...

I have no doubt if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you face to face your eyes would sparkle as well on the subject of fencing. To me that says your not afraid to enjoy life and enjoy it deeply. (Hugs) Indigo