Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Leaving Home

Tonight I fenced in Chapel Hill. I fenced just a little. I was under the weather and my mind was not on the game. I stunk on strip.

On the other hand I had a good lesson and I did well. I needed a positive.

This was a sad day for me.

Due to reasons beyond my control (both personal and professional) I find that I can no longer devote the time and energy to fencing that I once did.. I hate that, but I always knew that the time would come. Sadly, it came quicker than expected.

As a result of this I think that I can continue one night a week. I have decided to do this in Chapel Hill (as long as I can afford the gas) and with the greatest of regret will be leaving the Downtown Fencing Club.

I will be becoming a once a week fencer. I will not get much better, but I wasn't getting that much better anyway. It is my hope that I can keep in the game and perhaps in the future I will find away to return to my home and my fencing family.

This in no way reflects badly on the coaches; students or parents that are a part of this club. I hold the coaches of the DFC in the highest of regards. These are people that give unselfishly and freely of their time and energy for the love of the sport and for no other reason than to help the community. I was honored (truly) to have been a part of this team and some small help in this regard.

This really breaks my heart.



4 comments:

pchilcoat1 said...

Sorry to hear of your decision, but I can understand the decision, but don't give up, a break may be just what you need.

fencerkath said...

In my club there's a whole range of fencers, from those who fence several nights a week and complete at national or even international level to those who turn up once a week or less often.  They are all fencers and all have something to contribute, wven though it changes with time.  Sometimes people drop out or come only occasionally for a year or two and then they return.  Returning fencers are welcomed back.

I hope you enjoy your fencing, even if it's only once a week at the moment. You are still a fencer.

rdautumnsage said...

I agree with Kath, be it once a week or more - your still a fencer at heart. I'm sorry to hear your leaving the club but glad your still going to try to do this once a week. I can hear your heart breaking at this news...I hope you don't ever give up what makes your heart soar. It's not about how well you do a thing, rather how well you enjoying doing this thing...(Hugs) Indigo

ncfence004 said...

Nicole has basically been a once a week fencer for as long as she's been fencing (5 years).  She left DFC for a while and fenced with another club because of type of lessons they offered.  She's taken time off during the summers to relax and recharge.  What I'm getting at is that you need to do what's right for you.  It's not to say that you will NEVER return to DFC.  Things continually change so you never know where the road will lead you.  We'll truly miss seeing you at club.  Nicole always looked forward to the day she'd be able to "beat" Jim.  Hopefully you'll be stopping by to visit or at least finish out the last two weeks of the semester.    I love how Woody put it "I look forward to us all being together again laughing about this thread and Jim's big dumb idea."  We love you Jim!