Saturday, March 29, 2008

NC Division Youth Tournament

Today was the NC Division Youth and Junior Team Qualifiers. Our friend Cam is a Division officer. She had almost no help from the other Division officers, so we (the DFC and a RFC armorer) helped. We take care of our own. We had not one kid competing in the event this year, but we took care of set up and tear down. Cam made great food for the refs lunch after we set up Friday night. Henri and I took care of breakfast for all the people. We did it out of our own pockets. We did everything but ref. If it had not been for Cam, the kids would not have had this event, Not many people seemed to get that. I was proud of her and the people that helped. She has one more event to go. After that she will no longer be on the board. She plans to have a party to celebrate. When she is done, WE are done. I am looking forward to that as well.

The tournament went well I thought. Sadly,there were not many kids so it went fast. Nobody was a real ass, though I had to be stern with one father and if I had known what was going on, I would have done so with another. Still, in the scheme of things, it was not a big deal.

I enjoyed watching the people at the tournament. I thought about the times when I first went to tournaments. I did not have a clue. I would look at all these people and think of them as " the real fencers". In my mind it was something I was aspiring to be and they were god-like. Their knowledge was infinite and I was still having a hard time hooking up and testing bells. These days there are still many people whose knowledge is vastly superior to my own, but  the gap between what the gods know and what I know has narrowed a little. I will never know as much as some of these folks, but I find it comforting that on my path to becoming what I consider to be a fencer, I can tell I have traveled a little way down the path.

I also thought about how it felt to go to tournaments and not know anyone. As time went by, I would know a few people or who they were......though they would have no idea who I was. Now a days, I fence all over the state and I feel welcome were ever I go.  Things have changed a great deal in just a couple of years.

I watched some young guys fence epee and I wondered if in time, would I fence them in tournaments. If I can hold together, I am sure I will. I wish there were more of them. The holding together thing is becoming a problem. I swear I have something wrong with a new body part every frickin' week. Now it is my knee. Vet fencing.....it is not for wussies.


Gray Epee....over and out.


No comments: