Saturday, February 2, 2008

Writing Home

My week in fencing was nothing to write home about, nonetheless , here I am writing home about it.

Wednesday I had a group lesson with Coach Miller. Group lessons are a lot like private lessons, only you learn to be the leader....which is harder than being the student. I believe that the whole thing is geared toward making you technically better. I wish I understood the process a little more. I would ask him about it, but I am not sure how to vocalize my thoughts. He knows what he is doing and I guess I don't have to understand the whole process. Except for why there is no attack in sabre below the waist, I have never doubted anything he has ever told me. ( The "why there is no attack below the waist in sabre" is often told. You hear often that this is because the cavalry did not wish to harm the horses of their opponent. I dabble in Napoleonic history and I know that this is not true. I think it is more likely that this is based on Italian dueling etiquette.  Perhaps I am wrong , but I know the horse thing is a myth.)

Coach said that parking would be impossible at UNC Thursday due to basket ball game, so I did not go to UNC for private lesson.

Friday I went to the"Y". I did foot work with the beginners. I think it helps for them to have some one a bit more proficient doing it with them, so they can emulate that person. That is not the only reason I did that though. I use to do the foot drills or lessons, every time I went to the "Y". At some point I stopped doing that. It is my intention to do this with any class that is doing it from now on. I need to tighten up my foot work. I am never going to bounce. At lease I am never going to bounce for extended periods of time, so it is best to make my more traditional foot work better. I will of course need to work on the stuff you actually use on strip, separately.

I fenced a bit with the newpeople. I try to find ways to make it of value for me, and still let them learn. I was glad for any kind of strip time.

My elbow feels a bit swollen this morning. It does not hurt much, it just feels kind of "puffy".

I don't see any tournaments I can go to until February 23. There is one in the DC area next week for "Over 30" people.  Sadly, epee is on Sunday and it is a five and a half hour drive back home. I don't think I can swing that.

Next Saturday I am going to head to Duke and watch some NCAA fencing. Coach Miller suggested that we come watch. The women fence on on that day. I have never been to this type of event and I am looking forward to it. I might actually learn something. For the most part, these people will be so advanced that I will not pick up much to use at my level.

The weekend after that is the Junior Olympics in Charlotte. I hope to drive down and cheer on Nicole. There may be some vendors there and I might want to do a bit of shopping. I could also swing by UNCC and take my son and his girl friend out to eat or something. I hope I get to do this. I will have to see how things go.

The weekend after that there is a party and tournament at Mid-South. It is the grand opening of their new Salle. I will fence epee on Sunday. I will be largely out classed, but will be representing the Vet 50 folk.  Even though I do not see myself doing well, I hope to fight the good fight. Perhaps I will surprise myself and another fencer or two. We will see how that goes.

This is what happened and what will be happening in the world of the Gray Epee.


3 comments:

rdautumnsage said...

Sounds like a full schedule ahead of you. Sorry to hear there are no local tournaments until the 23rd of this month. I'm glad you keep an open mind with your learning....There will always be someone who can do it better, so it's always wise to see how to better yourself in the smallest ways to stand out in one area other than several. I find it interesting reading you. I never knew this sport was so energetic and challenging until now. Thank you for that and continuing to comment on my journal. Your right it's not about the saying the right thing, rather that I know your there listening. It does mean a lot to me. (Hugs) Indigo

jdobbinsjd said...

Glad to hear that you are going to make it to Durham for the Duke meet. While the level of fencing is really good, don't underestimate your ability.  You will definitely be able to see the action etc.  I am so glad that you are going to make it down to the JO's, some of the best vendors in the country will be there and it will be fun to cheer on our NC fencers.  I will be there all weekend, either working or cheering on the kids.  We miss seeing you all in G'boro and at UNC.  
I always marvel at you Vet fencers, if for no other reason than your  perserverance. It is always a pleasure when you all give the young 'uns a surprise.  You continue  when many younger than you give up.  If I don't see you at JO's, we will see you at the opening.

epeeallday said...

hey thats right i will get to see you guys down at JO's too since its in Charlotte. Ill b sure to help u guys cheer Nicole on when im not helping out CFA folk. Might even see you at Duke, me and Kyle were going to go possibly and watch the mens on friday, meaning a overnight to Gboro possibly and watch fencing during the afternoon. See ya at JOs for sure tho, UNCC should b right near groud zero.