Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Area


I have to write this down. Perhaps it will help me figure it out.

If you look at Greensboro; High Point and Winston Salem as one geographical entity, then there are well over a million people in this area. ( Three medium sized towns that are close together and a bunch of small towns in between.)

Within this fairly large population there are two small fencing clubs. The Downtown Fencing Club and Delta H. Both are in Greensboro. \ Other than Delta H having a big dry foil tournament every year, I do not know much about them. I keep meaning to go by and check them out, but there has never been enough time. They are introducing people to fencing in this area and that is all I care about. They are doing good in my book.

The DFC has ( up to this point ) never advertised in any manner. We don't have a lot of space and that in part dictates class sizes.  On the other hand, we have kids come from as far away as Mt.Airy.

It just seems to me that for the size of the community in relationship to other large population areas within the state, we should have more fencers or more clubs in this area.

I really do not know why this concerns me or weighs on my mind so frequently. I am not a  coach. I am just a helper. Why do I dwell on this so often?

This is what I have come up with:

A. I care about the community more than I am aware of.
B. I care about the fencing community more than I am aware of.
C. It would be better for me if there were more fencing opportunities near by.
D. I want fencing to grow in this state and country.
E. I think fencing will grow and I want us to be ready for it.
F. I envy other large population areas and their fencing diversity and I would like to see the same in our area.

Okay....I reread my list and I am guessing"C and F." must be the strongest factors, though I am unsure of that. I figure the reason I think of this so often must be self serving. Most of us would put ourselves first and those are the only ones that fit. Still, there is more to it than that.

For me, thinking about fencing in my area is not an all consuming thought. It does however, drift through my mind from time to time.

I thought writing this down might help. So far...........nothing.

Oh well.....Time to get on with the day.

1 comment:

fencerkath said...

I wonder if you are ever troubled by the thing that troubles me - that there are lots of people who would love fencing and be good at it who don't look for a club because they think it would be too expensive or too exclusive.  I certainly didn't look for a cub when my son was first interested because I assumed it would be posh and expensive. I now spend a lot of time telling people that fencing isn't as expensive as they think and it's not only for rich, upper-class people.  It's obviously better for people and better for fencing if a wide range of people get involved.  And any sport needs people of a wide range of abilities, so that the sport's profile is raised.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.  Happy Christmas, if I don't get round to posting a comment here again.