Sunday, November 4, 2007

App

Today ( Sunday) I fenced at an App State tournament. It was a good and well run tournament. The drive to and from the event was great as well. The changing of the leaves in the mountains was just beautiful.

I fenced in two events. ( back to back) In retrospect, that was a mistake, though I am glad I did.

I fenced in an E and Under event. After pools I was seeded first and had a bye. I had a +16 indicator in a pool of five. That was a personal indicator high.

I put that last bit of info in because it sounded cool. The truth is that I had an easier pool than the others. I would glance at other strips and think, " Damn I am glad I am not fencing that kid." Note: Kid = College Aged Person  Update: I ended up 5th.

After my bye, ( as luck would have it ) I fenced the kid that won. It was fairly tight up until touch 5 and then I got tired. He proceeded to beat me quite handily.

And I was done for a while.

Henri and I went over and did the epee stretch until the Open Event started.

Henri did great in foil. I think she finished 7th in a 20 something field and was the highest rated woman in the E and Under foil. I will review stats on all this stuff later, when it is posted. Memory must serve until that time. Update: There were 26 competitors.

I did not get to see Henri fence, as I did not come down for foil. Naturally, I was reprimanded for not being supportive.

Henri had a disappointing day in epee.

I sometimes wish that there could be a tournament with a height limit. Henri and Kerry Herrick ( others as well)  in my mind are some of the gutsiest fencers in the state. They fence these tall young kids all the time. They must get frustrated often. I have watched them fence many times and known that if only they were as tall as the person they were fencing, they would have destroyed them. I admire them.

Then there was the open. It had some of the big boys in it. Pools for me were okay. I won three ( though 2 were barely) and I got creamed in the two I lost. One was a "D" fencer and I went down 5-0. Man....I haven't got waxed in a long time. Yes...I still hate it.

The other was Kelly Herrick. I only got one point. I like watching this kid fence better than anyone in the state. He is not only good, but he has style. I generally prefer to counter, but I thought I would be more aggressive with him. I figured I had nothing to loose. Sadly , while interesting, the result was the same as if I had fenced him playing my game.

So out of 23 fencers, I finished my usual middle of the pack with the 12th seed. Update: I finished 13th. Some of the placements were interesting.

Onto DEs.

Now I want to point out, that I was trying to take advice and just fence. No goals, just fence the person in front of me.

My first bout was against a young woman. At some point, I was ahead 10-2. That sounds good, but I question myself because of this bout. I was killing her. It was clear that I was going to win. I did not let her have a couple of points, but there were a couple of times I made half hearted attacks. I think the score was 15-5 me. I know that no one would cut me any slack, but I question this. It would not have hurt me to ease up a bit and let this girl leave with her head up. There are rules that govern this type of action, but they are impossible to prove. I could have eased up on this kid and I didn't. I will think about this for a while.

My next DE was against a D fencer. ( Hite) I fenced him before in pools in another tournament. I won. In DEs I was ahead 4-1. Then by touch 8 or 9 I was really getting tired. He passed me then and and I lost. I am unsure of the final score. Update: Score was 15-12 Hite

So for me, I find that my endurance is hurting me. Part of that is that I am carrying around to much extra weight. I have tried to motivate myself to do something about this before. Perhaps, fencing better, might make me stick to it....but who knows?

So, while my efforts were not all that good, I had a pretty good time.

I do not think I will fence two events back to back anymore, Vet fencers must pace them selves.





No comments: