Saturday, August 4, 2007

Doubles

Last night we fenced "doubles epee" for the first time in a very long time. ( Two fencers fence two fencers on the same strip at the same time. This is made possible by having two reels and a special device made from old body cords. Once a touch is made, this leaves one fencer to fence two fencers.) I would like to say that it has training benefits, but I have no idea if it really does. It is however, swashbuckling fun. Should you fence two people and win............just for brief moment....you get to feel like Cyrano or Zorro....or one of those "O" people. Maybe I should become Jimo next season.

Henri returned from Coaches College this week and Friday night was her first night back. She scored a 97 on the written part of the test and a 91 on the practical. We are all proud of her. I got her to model her black Allstar coaches jacket last night. It made her look very tall. ( lies)

Mario , fresh from Epee I, at Coaches College lead the class last night. We are proud of him as well. With both he and Henri wearing black, the term " Sith Lords" came up.

I did a little "coachy" stuff and helped Scott ( Will's dad)  pay his dues. I think I did it correctly. Close enough. I noticed only he and one other person had paid dues. Tommy was there and is heading off to college in a week or so. I did not bring up the dues thing for the other people as he was there and I felt like he had done enough for the club to get a couple of weeks free. (A small fare well gift for him.) Plus..I like fencing him. I will leave it for next week and talk to the coaches.

Cam and Woody are doing the " 48 Hour Film Festival" this weekend. When they are rested, I think we need to have a coaches meeting some place that serves beer or Woodchuck cider. We need to talk about next season and figure out some things.

Cam is suffering from a bad burn and I do not know how she is doing. I assume she is doing better, as she is helping make a movie this weekend.

I enjoyed fencing doubles last night. I enjoyed fencing epee. I can't wait for next season to start.




1 comment:

fencerkath said...

I've never come across doubles epee before - I'd love to have a go.  Is there any chance of extending this so that you can be Athos, Porthos, Aramis and d'Artagnan taking on the Cardinal's men?  I suppose you wouldn't be allowed to fight in proper musketeers' costumes ...