Sunday, April 15, 2007

NC Divisionals


All in all, it ALMOST went better for me than anticipated. I had set a goal of being in the top two-thirds...or escaping the bottom third of Men's Epee fencers. Under normal circumstances I might have set a different goal. However, with my fathers death, my bad foot (which has kept me from fencing as much as I should ); my new job....you get the picture......I just did not see me doing very well. Plus the added factor that there were just a bunch of fencers that were better than me preregistered.

As fate would have it, only 27 fencers of the 37 fencers that preregistered showed up. I have rarely seen a tournament were there were less fencers than you expected. From what I could tell, the tournament seemed well run.

I finished first in my pool. That was a surprise! To be honest, I think it was one of the easier pools though. The results of the pools were that I was in 8th place. That was way beyond my expectations, so I was happy.

I was to fence the 25th (last placed) fencer.  I feel like I could have beat the last place person...no problem. To my surprise that was John Rae. There is absolutely no way that he should have been in last place. I lead most of the DE and he rallied at the end and beat me 13-15. I do not know if John was injured in pools; this was some sort of strategy; or this was just for dramatic flair. I do know one thing. The next time I fence him; I am going to win. It is that simple.

I finished 17th (I think).( Edited: 4-17-07. I found out there were 27 fencers.) That did meet my goal. Somehow it still did not seem like enough. I am not real unhappy about it, nor am I happy about it.

I would have liked to have done well enough to have Coach Miller say something positive. On the other hand, Cam told me I fenced well. That always means a lot to me. Also Paul (from the Wilmington club) told me how much I had improved and that made me feel good. That was kind of him.

I spent some time talking to Hunter from KOS. I told him how he had helped me by example when I wasbeating myself up over fencing one time. What a likeable kid.

I enjoyed watching and supporting our fencers. I felt like I shared their victories and their disappointments. The later is part of the game.

Despite the lack of a stellar performance at this event, I have this weird feeling that my fencing has improved. I mean this in the sense that as your learn to fence (other things as well) you hit plateaus.  You stay there a while and then you start going up again. I may be wrong, but I feel like I am moving up a notch. I try to be a realist when I judge myself in fencing. I hope I am right about this.

Sharon told me that my Dad would be watching me at this event. It was a reference to me having a fencer parent. ( A joke. ) He never got to see me fence. If he was watching today, I would not be totally ashamed. Keep watching Dad. I will tell you when I have done well.

 

3 comments:

fencerkath said...

That was just bad luck about the DE.  It sounds as though you fenced pretty well.

ncfence004 said...

I think you did wonderful this weekend!  First off, you fenced.  Given everything that's been going on the past few months it would have been easy to say I'm just not up to it.  But you didn't...you FENCED.  You finished first in your pools and 8th overall after pools.  I think that says something about your performance.  Of course it was bad luck getting John Rea for your first DE....but you ended up finishing in 17th place.  By my calculation that's in the top two thirds.  So you met your goal for the tournament.  John only finished one spot above you.  As a parent of a fencer I think I can safely say your dad would have been very proud of you and what you accomplished this weekend.  

Also I can't say enough about the support and encouragement you provide to your fellow teammates (and their parents).  It hasn't gone unnoticed or unappreciated.  Thanks for being there for all of us.  -- Sharon

jdobbinsjd said...

Dear Jim, I am so sorry to hear of your fathers death.  I know how hard it must be for you to try and even act like everything is normal.  I wish I could have seen you fence on Sunday, I was off to Atlanta.  It was great to talk with you on Saturday and congratulations on the new job.  I didn't know and was afraid to ask.  You and all of the older fencers are an inspiration to the younger fencers, including my son Charlie.  It is great for them to see your level of commitment to your sport.  You have even helped to inspire my husband James to start fencing.  Sunday was his first tournament. Congrats on your competition Sunday.  I know that it could not have been easy with the foot etc.  Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Deborah Dobbins