Thursday, April 26, 2007

Merger and Stuff


Last night was epee night at Mid-South. Jen and I had a brief talk about the merger. We both had thought about it so long and so hard, we really did not want to talk about it anymore. I think our thought process is similar. Both Matt and Jen have always seemed like very serious people to me. It is only lately that I have seen a more light hearted side. (Particularly with Jen.)

Coach Miller wanted to know all about the merger and had some things to share.

Coach Miller and I are not so far apart in years.  But for the life of me, I cannot call him Ron. It seems unnatural. I guess Coach will always fit better.

Matt had a good idea. We talked about having a tournament called the "Ron Miller Open." I am very much for this and will keep this conversation alive.

Our group lesson was good. ( As always) I seem to stumble more when I am the leader, rather than the student in our two man drills. Coach generally seems able to fix me quickly when I am doing things incorrectly.

Matt and Jen are trying to get Henri to fence sabre. Henri and I both seem to be limping around a lot the last few months. I wish we would heal up! If she takes a beginner class in sabre, perhaps I will take one with her. That way I get to dabble in sabre a bit and she gets a training dummy. She is never happier than when she is smacking me anyway. This is the same, but with a thin strip of metal.

Woody and Mario seem to have some concerns about the merger. We have not heard from Sally yet. I know it is scary. Change always is.  However, I see this for the best. From what I hear, the main concerns are the name of our club in Greensboro and concern over what people in the fencing community would think. I have no concerns about a club name. That seems like such a small issue to me. As for people talking or taking a bad slant on the merger................who cares? Those same people would talk no matter what. I haven't much cared what other people thought sense I was in high school. The only thoughts that are important to me are friends and family. I already know (more or less) what my fencing friends and my fencing family think. So.......no problem.

1 comment:

fencerkath said...

I don't know enough about the background to the merger, but I'd reckon it's probably something that will widen everyone's experience and choice of opponents.  If you get more interesting fencing that's good.

I'm not so sure about all that sabre.  Everywhere I turn there are sabreurs.  I blame Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean).  Mind you, it does (sometimes) look fun.