Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Chain..Chain ..Chain...Chain of Fools

Monday, Cam called me and asked me if I wanted to go to Mid-South and fence some epee. Keep in mind that after Sundays tournament I had to limp around to find a place to eat and ice my foot. The ride home was somewhat painful.

My response...." Heck yeah!!!"

What makes a person want to fence epee so bad that he will cause himself pain. I have no idea. Even though I am a low level fencer all I can think of is an old saying. "Pros play hurt." I forgot what coach from my youth use to say that. The reality of it is it has nothing to do with why I would go fence. I don't get paid to fence. I have no idea what makes people do this. I can however guarantee that if you go to a tournament around here with thirty people, there will be at least three wearing some sort of brace. There are no doubt others with something wrong that you can't see. Some of my friends and their conditions come to mind. It is an amazing thing and something that warrants some study and thought. The answer will not come in this post, but I will think on it.

I fenced okay Monday night, but I could not move much because of my foot and my foot work was clumsy. I also had a bad hand cramp. This happens sometimes to me after tournaments. Perhaps an electrolyte imbalance.

My pal Henri went down in a dodge ball game yesterday. I think her foot is injured. I called her today and what she told me did not sound good. I will wait to hear from her later tonight. Cam's knees; Woody's illness, Kathy's back...yet they fence. Henri may not fence, but she will find a way to work out and practice blade work.

Is there something wrong with us or is there something right with us? I would bet even money either way.

1 comment:

fencerkath said...

Fencig is something we do for ourselves - not because we're compelled, not because an employer tells us to, and certainly not for money.  It's outside all the structures and compulsions of everyday life (although, like almost all activities, it has its own rules).  I suppose people who follow other leisure time activities for fun - painting, acting, learning a language, etc - feel similarly determined.  The best parallel I can find is with some of the ways working-class people in Victorian Britain wrote about their experience of reading and discovering books with friends - not as a means of self-advancement but a place in which they could be free.  Certainly for me fencing is a space where I can be free of all the constraints and problems of everyday life, and I have attempted to fence when ridiculously tired or unwell - and I've enjoyed it too.  

Fencing is particularly liberating because it involves both mind and body.  We're not mad to fence - or, if we are, it's a necessary madness.