Monday, February 5, 2007

~ sigh~

I debated about posting this for some time, but I think I will.

Thursday I lost my job after around 27 years of service. In essence (it is more complicated) my job went overseas. I have know this could happen for a couple of years, but I clung to the hope that I could hang on to closer to retirement. Hope is one thing and the real world is another.
 
I design furniture finishes. ( Again, it is more complicated than that, but that is the gist of it.) This type of business is what I have been doing for the last 33 years. I am not sure what else I might be qualified for. but I guess I will find out.

I am not concerned about what I do or even the salary as much as I am health care for Anne.  Her condition is beyond expensive. I have not given a lot of thought to keeping Sam in collage if things go bad. I can't sleep and I am sick with worry.

The good news is at the present rate of weight loss I am having from stress, I think I might hit my ideal weight in about a week or so.

I have a fairly good severance package and I am okay for a few months.

The day after this happened I was to go to the Iron Maiden. ( Women's Fencing Tournament) I really did not wish to go, but people were counting on me for a place to stay.
Anne wanted me to go to take my mind off it. It did at times, as long as I was focused on something. Other times it was pretty bad. It was good to go and hang out with the gang. Perhaps that was the best idea.

I am going to cut back on fencing for the next couple of months. Save a little gas and money.  Not stop, but give up a couple of nights. Mostly I can't really focus on it. I am just to distracted.

So, if I don't post often or if you don't see me around as much, this is the reason.

If you do see me around, do me a favor. Don't ask me if I found anything yet. I think this might be slow going.

 

 

3 comments:

fencerkath said...

I'm ever so sorry about this.  And I'm angry that there isn't the sort of health service that will take care of Anne (I've taken reasonable, free health care for granted all my life).  Having been unemployed on occasion, I remember how important it was to maintain self-confidence and keep the fear and depression at bay by doing some things I enjoyed.  I've been lucky enough to come through it all and find much better work - I hope it will be the same for you.

shazna02 said...

I am really sorry to hear about this Jim.  I want you to know that you and Anne and Sam are in my thoughts.  Times like this make me wish I was a rich philanthropist and could invite you all to my estate but at least know that there are people who care what is happening to you and would like to know if you care to share it.

Love Elizabeth

dweaver307 said...

Jim,
As you know, I went through this myself a few years ago. I can only advise you to put aside any feelings you might have about shame or guilt. I don't know why we men do that to ourselves but we are embarrassed to tell anyone we got canned. Hell it's not your fault, so don't be afraid to use all your resources and network with all of the contacts you have made through the years. The more people that know you're available, the more chance you'll have that someone will come up with a potential position.

I know you need time to get your head around this, but if you feel like talking I'll buy the beer. It's not like you don't have time. (I'm sorry, was that insensitive ;-)