Saturday, November 18, 2006

Stuff

I did not fence at all this week. Family matters, illness and Nov 18 North Carolina Junior Olympics Qualifier  set up took me out of it. The JO set up went well. Many people from different clubs working together.

I am going to drop by JOs today and watch some of the kids. There are vendors there and I may do a bit of shopping. Also, there is a silent art auction that I think is WAY cool. There is some nice stuff there. I may bid on a piece or two.

Our Division has a "spiffy" ( stops for a moment to wonder ...How old is the word "spiffy"? I think my parents used that word.) web site for the NC Division http://mattcoxstudio.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Next week will be a light week in fencing as well. I am okay with that though. I plan to work out a lot and I think I need a little fencing down time.
 

3 comments:

fencerkath said...

what is a spiffy?  The nearest word I know is "spiffing" for very good (English upper class slang, used by public schoolboys at the beginning of the C20th - and by public schoolboys the Brits mean boys at private, fee-paying schools).

I hope things are working out well for you.

kentjamesr said...

Spify is a slang word that I remember being used in the 50's and early 6o's. I may have seen it used in an earlier black and white movie. It means "cool"....nice....that sort of thing. I think my Mom used that word.

fencerkath said...

My shorter Oxford dictionary is in the office so I used the web and found this for "spiffing":

Posted by R. Berg on May 06, 2002

In Reply to: spiffing posted by Linda Edwards on May 06, 2002

: After a weekend of rain, my husband and I both made the same remark when we saw bright sunshine on Monday morning - "spiffing" !
:
: Anyone know where this comes from ?

The Oxford English Dictionary labels it "colloq. and dial." and defines it as "Excellent, first-rate, very good, etc.; fine or smart in . . . dress and appearance." The first quotation illustrating its use is dated 1872. Dictionary says "Cf. next [i.e., spiffy] and such forms as 'rattling,' 'ripping,' 'topping, etc.]."
For "spiffy," it also says "colloq. and dial." "Of obscure origin; the shorter form 'spiff' is recorded in dialect use from 1862."

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/13/messages/1459.html

It sounds like the same word but "obscure origin" doesn't help much.