Friday, June 2, 2006

Bring Me Giants!

Epee was wonderful. We had a team competition. The score there was unimportant. However, I fenced a great deal of the time between team bouts. It was ungodly warm at the club. Tommy and I fenced without keeping score for a long long time. It was back and forth and it was beautiful to watch....most of the time. A bit sloppy but interesting at others. Kathy and I did the same.

 While I was red faced and sweating, I never once got tired. Just hot! I feel great. I f the club was open I would still love to be fencing. This was followed by a good meal and interesting conversation. What could be better?

Did I mention how great I feel?

Editors Note: "Bring me giants!" If I remember correctly,is a line from  Cyrano de Bergerac. The 1950 black and white version is one of my favorite movies.

2 comments:

fencerkath said...

Cyrano de Bergerac, Act I Scene 7:

CYRANO (hors de lui)
Maintenant. . .
Mais je vais etre frenetique et fulminant!
Il me faut une armee entiere a deconfire!
J'ai dix coeurs; j'ai vingt bras; il ne peut me suffire
De pourfendre des nains. . .
(Il crie a tue-tete)
Il me faut des geants!

I can't do a proper translation, but something like:

                       ...I've reached the stage
Where I can't rest, I'm so consumed by rage.
Bring on a whole brigade for me to fight.
I've ten hearts, twenty arms; it isn't right
To face a dwarf's defiance.
Bring on the giants!

(I've seen the play on stage a couple of times and it's terrific (best production with Derek Jacobi and Sinead Cusack at least 20 years ago) - I just wish I could get the proper effect of the rhymes but I can't think of a good way to repear the last one in English.  A bit of guesswork on some of the French as well.)

shazna02 said...

I am glad you are feeling great - all the practice pays off - I also notice the people who say "The score was unimportant" are the people who did pretty well.  Are you ready for your tourney at the beach?

Elizabeth