Saturday, April 8, 2006

Jim's Week in Review

Jim's Week in Review:

I did well in sabre. I did very well in epee last night and I think my confidence is returning. Fortunately I have foil to balance this out, so I do not get overconfident. Why is that weapon so hard for me? Did my love of epee turn me into a person that just can't deal with that type of ROW? I think the difference is that sabre is over so quick. In foil, I find myself consciously thinking about ROW and ...Do I have it? This can't be good. It is to slow a thought process.

If I do not have to work (High Point Furniture Market is in two weeks) I am thinking about going to a KOS tournament and fencing (god help me) sabre. It might be time to see what that is like in a strange tournament environment and to also see how refs that I am unfamiliar with call things. In essence it would be a class.

I just reread the part above about seeing how other refs call things. Is that part of the joy of epee? Is epee TRULY truth? I don't know how much that enters into it. I think it is more how the there are opportunities of the moment and how it flows from defensive to offensive. I think trying to figure out  why you have a love for epee is like trying to figure out the meaning of life.

On that note, I think I have to go with Kurt Vonnegut's meaning of life.

"You are put on this earth to fart around. Don't let anyone tell you any different>'

Editors Note: I do not have that quote in front of me, but it is words to that effect.

 

 

 

 

 


 

3 comments:

epeebri said...

I didn't easily find the original source, but the generally accepted quote is, “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.” ... I like it.

shazna02 said...

I really don't know how you can do three weapons - when I was doing sabre and epee it was bad enough when I would parry in epee and then stand there as they hit me going, "Oh yeah, no right of way" - but last night when I fenced foil all I could think about was practicing epee.  All the twists and turns of the foil blade when all I wanted to do was a toe hit.  You must be a good multitasker - as a fencer of little brain, one obsessive fencing blade is enough.   Good luck in the sabre competition!

Elizabeth

http://elizabethmcclung.blogspot.com/

ktbfencing said...

Yes!!!! Epee is truth! (But I still want to see you at our tournament!)
;)
-Karen