Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cool!

I had one of the best foil classes in recent memory this Monday.

My coach made his lesson plan after reading my blog. In essence he fixed foil (from my perspective) in one night. Now if we can just hold it there for a while.

I did not fence great, but I did not suck either. More importantly, it was interesting and it was fun.

This was a big deal for me. I have beat myself up over foil for a long time. I seemed to have no talent for it, The fact is that I may still have no great ability for it, but I see what has been wrong and it was not ALL me.

To recap; After I found epee I cared little for foil, other than what I could pick up and adapt to epee. As time went by, I began to admire foil. I admire how it trains you to duel and survive. I feel to become a fencer (or the fencer I wish to be) that I have to become proficient in foil. The added value is that I still believe it will improve my epee game. I feel I need a working knowledge of sabre as well, but I do not need it as urgently as I need foil.

For just a little while, I am at peace with my progress in fencing. I give it a day or two, but I will enjoy it while I can.

The High Point Furniture Market starts in less than a week. I am working late and hard. I may miss out on fencing this week and perhaps this weekend.

On a brighter note, I found out that my anniversary is not this Friday as I thought. It is next Friday.  If I do not have to work late, I can get in epee. I would so like to make that class. I am very "up" on fencing at the moment.

No comments: