Sunday, March 26, 2006

Divisionals

I think our club had twelve fencers at Divisionals on Saturday. That is a lot for us. We had  ten fencing epee (Four in Women's and six in Men's) and two fencing sabre. ( Foil is today, which is Sunday.)

Our Women took first and second in epee. It was truly awesome. Kathy and Nicole were on fire yesterday!!! There is a lot to say about this, but I think I will make that a separate post.

Two of our guys did pretty well in Men's. I need to see the results posted, but I think Tommy (One of our young "E" Fencers (Tommy) made it to the top 16 and Warren (a man my age) got up the roster pretty far as well.

Generally, in tournaments, I finish around the same area as Tommy and Warren. Sometimes higher, sometimes a "smidgen" lower. That was not the case this time. I was awful. It was truly embarrassing. Do not get me wrong, I know that Tommy has surpassed me and I will never match him again. That is just a fact. I love that guy like a brother and I am happy for him.

Why did Jim Suck? :

Was it bad luck in the pools? No....not really. I did have guy that took first in my pool, but I got 2 or 3 touches on him. ( They were doubles...but touches nonetheless.) The other four guys (all modesty aside) on a good day....I think I could have beat them. Our at least....more of them.  So.....Nope...no hard luck story on the luck of the draw.

It was me. My head was not right ( Meds...health...lack of sleep....over analyzing the tournamnet....etc.) and I was doing something REALLY stupid. I was mimicking Tommy.
He often starts his attack in low line and uses his disgustingly fast and flexible teenage legs to drop under his attackers bell guard. I think this is a good tactic for him. When I use it, I put to much weight on my front leg and pretty much nullify my ability to move quickly in either direction. I need to slap myself and keep my weight centered. I am not only old..I am stupid. There is to much to explain about all the things I was doing wrong, but I think I am aware of most of them and will try to correct them.

Any Realizations Jim? : eYep...one big one. I think I may have an inflated opinion of myself as an epee fencer. ( Okay...That is natural. We all like to have a high opinion of ourselves, but I try to temper mine with realism.) I thought that I could be a "D" fencer in epee. I guess if I found the right little tournament and I was having a great day, I could get a "D" rating. However, I would not be a "D" fencer, because I am not a "D" fencer. I got this unrealistic idea because of the last six tournaments I fenced in. Four were mixed. One was Veterans and there where only five people in the epee part. The circuit in Raleigh is one I cannot figure out, as I placed actually a bit higher than I thought I would, factoring in my rank; age and the level of competition. I am not close to being a "D" fencer and surprisingly....it does not upset me and I am not all uptight about it. Must be my new meds. I can't believe I might actually have a mature attitude about this. Nah....that can't be it.

What are you going to do about it Jim?:

I have a physical with my doctor tomorrow. The first thing I need to do is make sure it is not my health that is screwing me up and these damn new meds that seem to make my mind a bit strange.  Okay...stranger than usual.

After that I really don't know what I can do about it. More thought is needed. Sadly, I just got a call from my boss and I have to go into work ( That is REALLY unusual.) I will not be able to go to Divisionals and watch our foilist. Damn!












No comments: