Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Going Really Well.......NOT!


Well, I told my self I would fence through the weekend, as I told my coaches I would aThursday, Oct 6, 2005 - 04:23pm 

Well, I told my self I would fence through the weekend, as I told my coaches I would help with a tournament this weekend.Injured tonight. Hamstring. Folded up like a lawn chair. I will access the damage in the morning.The trails and tribulations of an older fencer. Sheesh! 

Part of the weirdness of the situation is that I feel alone. Surely there must be people like me in the Veteran ( Veteran is fencing talk for old people) community. People That started at 50. I meet some at the club from time to time, but I don't let myself get attached, as they generally only last a month or two.  

                                                                                                                                          Here is an example of the "freakiness" of being an older, yet new fencer. This summer I took a week off from work to study with the coaches at UNC. It was a youth fencing camp, but Coach Miller was kind enough to let me be the "old kid." I was really impressed with Coach Miller and very much with Coach Josh. ( Josh last name escapes me. B fencer in epee...former Delta H club member...from Oakridge...very athletic) They were not so impressed with me. Now some of our kids went to one of these camps and they were high school kids and figured that the kids I would study with would be the same. Well...no.
At least two ofthe kids looked like Christopher Robin in Winnie the Poo. A few slightly older...a couple of High Schoolers and the "OLD GUY FREAK." I learned a lot from the class, but it was so very uncomfortable. Partly because I wondered what these kids parents must think? Potential Child Molester? Is this guy a little slow? Geeze....gives me the willies just thinking about it.  

                                                                                                                                                This is a sport that like most sports is designed for the young, because they have the potential to be champions. ( This is as it should be. ) We older folk have to suck it up and get what we can out of it.Perhaps I have gotten enough. I will decide this weekend. Perhaps I will look into another club.
s weekend.Injured tonight. Hamstring. Folded up likea lawn chair. I will access the damage in the morning.The trails and tribulations of an older fencer. Sheesh!Part of the weirdness of the situation is that I feel alone. Surely there must be people like me in the Veteran ( Veteran is fencing talk for old people) community. People That started at 50. I meet some at the club from time to time, but I don't let myself get attached, as they generally only last a month or two.Here is an example of the "freakiness" of being an older, yet new fencer. This summer I took a week off from work to study with the coaches at UNC. It was a youth fencing camp, but Coach Miller was kind enough to let me be the "old kid." I was really impressed with Coach Miller and very much with Coach Josh. ( Josh last name escapes me. B fencer in epee...former Delta H club member...form Oakridge...very athletic) They were not so impressed with me. Now some of our kids went to one of these camps and they were high school kids and figured that the kids I would study with would be the same. Well...no.
At least two of the kids looked like Christopher Robin in Winnie the Poo. A few slightly older...a couple of High Schoolers and the "OLD GUY FREAK." I learned a lot from the class, but it was so very uncomfortable. Partly because I wondered what these kids parents must think? Potential Child Molester? Is this guy a little slow? Geeze....gives me the willies just thinking about it.This is a sport that like most sports is designed for the young, because they have the potential to be champions. ( This is as it should be. ) We older folk have to suck it up and get what we can out of it.Perhaps I have gotten enough. I will decide this weekend. Perhaps I will look into another club.

No comments: